The Kato Mikeladze Award has been established by the Women's Fund in Georgia (WFG) to honour women's rights activists and to celebrate International Women Human Rights Defenders Day.
The Kato Mikeladze Award for Women Human Rights Defenders in Georgia will be awarded by the Women's Fund in Georgia to one woman activist every year on 29th November. Kato Mikeladze was a feminist, women's rights activist and publicist in 20th century Georgia.
The goal of the Kato Mikeladze Award is to build a safe environment in which WHRDs work is acknowledged and recognized, where the public is made aware of the important work that WHRDs do in Georgia and where WHRDs can become role models for a younger generation of women. WFG believes that this award will help to encourage women's rights defenders in their struggle for justice.
The first Award ceremony was held on 29th November 2013, where the first winner of the Kato Mikeladze Award was announced to be Ekaterine Aghdgomelashvili, a distinguished women's rights defender and queer activist in Georgia. The winner of 2014 Kato Mikeladze Award became Marina Tabukashvili, director of “Taso – Women's Fund and Memory Research Center”. The winner of 2015 Kato Mikeladze Award became feminist artist and activist - Lia Ukleba.
WFG is pleased to announce the launch of the 4th edition of the Kato Mikeladze Award
- Be directly involved in defending human rights issues
- Display devotion, reliability and competence in their work
- Encourage improvement in the conditions of womens rights, especially those of marginalized groups
- Be actively involved in the protection of womens rights, during the current year
- Promote feminist values in Georgia
Eligibility for Nomination
- Nominator may be both as individual as an organization
- Self-nominating is strictly prohibited
- Organizations cannot be nominated
- Incomplete application forms will not be considered
Dates of Submission: September 29, 2016 - November 1, 2016.
To nominate a possible candidate for the Award please fill out the nomination form.
The award winner will be determined by the competent Award Committee (jury) and the announcement of the winner will be made at the award ceremony.
Cash prize: 1,500 EUR.
Kato Mikeladze Award for the Women Human Rights Defenders in Georgia is supported by the UN Women, Kvinna till Kvinna foundation, South Caucasus field office, Mama Cash and United Nations Development Programme.
DEVELOPED BY ITNOVATIONS COPYRIGHT @ 2011 WOMEN'S FUND IN GEORGIA. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED